The St Vital Minor Hockey Association follows the models and principles of Hockey Canada, Hockey Manitoba and Hockey Winnipeg. All of these organizations utilize the Long Term Player Development Model.
The Long Term Player Development model sets out a vision for hockey in Canada that takes advantage of the history and culture of the game to increase participation and to lay the foundations which will allow our youth a pathway to a life long sport. This model for hockey has been developed based on the following principles:
• doing the right thing for the player at the right stage in their development
• adopting a player-centered approach and not treating the development of all players the same way
• the broader the foundation of players the more successful the game of hockey will be in Canada
• viewing player development as a long term process
• aligning player development resources with coach development and education resources so that coaches are doing the right things at the right time